Take Part to Our #Water4Islands Photo Contest for #WorldWaterDay
Send us a photo that tells a story about the importance of protecting water in your island and you could win a series of prizes including a trip to World Water Week in Stockholm, Swedden.
The competition will take place at two levels: National and Regional level.
National: 3 winners will be selected by a jury in each country participating to the competition (Cabo Verde, Comoros, Maldives, Mauritius, Sao Tome and Principe and Seychelles). That means 18 winners in total will be selected.
- First prize for the national competition: Nikon D5500 with an 18-55mm VR II Lens Kit or a prize of equivalent value
- Second prize for the national competition: USD 350 or a prize of equivalent value
- Third prize for the national competition: USD 150 or a prize of equivalent value
Regional: A jury at regional level will select the best two entries among the 18 national winning entries. The winners will win a trip to the Stockholm World Water Week that will take place in Sweden in September 2017.
How do I enter?
The competition is closed for residents from Mauritius, Cabo Verde, Sao Tome and Principe, Maldives and Comoros. You can still enter the contest if you live and are citizen of Seychelles, and are between 18 and 32 years old. If you meet the conditions, just follow these three steps:
1. Take a photo that tells a story about the importance of protecting water in your island.
Your picture can illustrate the importance of protecting water for your community, for nature or for the economy of your island. This photo contest is also a way to celebrate World Water Day 2017. The theme this year is “Why Waste Water?” and therefore we also encourage you take pictures highlighting stories around wastewater reuse and management. It could be:
- A picture about the way people use water in your island
- A picture highlighting the pollution threats to watersheds and water resources on your island
- A beautiful landscape or an image illustrating the importance of water for nature
- A portrait of a “Water Champion”, somebody in your community that is inspiring others to consume water sustainably
- A picture illustrating how to save water and reduce consumption
- An image illustrating innovative technologies and systems to treat and reuse wastewater
2. Fill in your details in the form below, tell us what is the story of your picture and why it is important for you and/or your island and attach the photo (minimum width 1754 pixels at 150 ppi, maximum file size 7 MB). You can submit the description of your picture in Portuguese, French or English.
3. Get social! If you have a Facebook account, post the image using the competition hashtag #Water4Islands and mentioning or tagging us @Water4Islands.
The deadline for participants was pushed to 08 July 2017, 23:59 East African Time for citizens from the Seychelles. The competition is closed for participants from Mauritius, Cabo Verde, Comoros, Sao Tome and Principe and Maldives. Read the rules and guidelines of the competition here.
What if I am not above 18 and not from any of the participating country?
You have to be between 18 and 32 years old and be a citizen of one of the 6 participating countries to officially enter and win the contest, but that doesn’t stop you from joining our campaign on social media! Take a photo illustrating a story about water and post it on your Facebook with the hashtags #Water4Islands and #WorldWaterDay without forgetting to mention us @Water4Islands.